Yes, another pancake recipe. I make a batch every weekend and while I have a favorite, basic recipe (available in the recipe books on my shop page!), I may adjust depending on the ingredients I have on hand. My boys love pancakes but these in particular were deemed "hotel pancakes" by JC (8), referring to the light and fluffy processed variety he occasionally gets when we stay in hotels. Except these aren't processed!
Fluffy "Hotel Style" Pancakes
1/4 cup milled flax seed
1 cup whole wheat flour*
1 cup brown rice flour*
2 tablespoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups rice, almond, soy or organic cow's milk
1/4 cup oil (canola or coconut)
1. Combine flax seed with 3/4 cup water and stir to mix. Allow to sit 5 minutes to gel.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine flours, baking powder and salt and stir to mix.
3. Add milk, oil and gelled flax seed and stir until just combined; be careful to not over mix.
4. Heat non-stick griddle or skillet over medium heat and drop batter by 1/3 cup ladles. Cook until bubbly (2-3 minutes) and then flip to cook the opposite side.
5. Serve with warm, real maple syrup and fruit. Makes 16-18 good sized pancakes.
*Feel free to use all whole wheat flour if you don't have brown rice flour. To make gluten free or low fodmap, use all brown rice flour and increase flax seed to 1/3 cup mixed with 1 cup water.
Maybe a healthy pancake recipe will come in handy over the holidays? Enjoy!
Emily Fonnesbeck RD, CD, CLT